Common-fucking-Sense. If the tank fails, the team fails. If the DPS fails, the team fails. If the healer fails, the team fails. If the team doesn’t communicate and work as one cohesive unit, the team fails. A death in the party is not and should not always be pinned on the healer. Think first about what you did and ask these questions:
- Did the tank run ahead without buffs to speed pull the entire dungeon without warning?
- Did the DPS decide to pull ahead of the tank (contrary to popular belief, this often causes the healer to die from healing the stupid DPS or the DPS to drop dead because the healer’s not that stupid)?
- Are you deciding to say “fuck it” and stand in AoE’s because you’re “over geared” for the content?
- Did (in the case of the Circus Tower I just got out of) the healer of another alliance decide to run ahead and start every boss before everyone was in the arena?
9 times out of 10 the fault for a death or mass death is not on one person (usually the healer because hey let’s blame the person who has to keep everyone alive), but everyone in the party. For example I had to sit through a pretty horrendous Garuda HM last night, and to be honest we failed because the veteran members of the party refused to explain the rotation of the fight to our newer members (pretty much every single DPS). Why? Because they wanted to rush it and fuck off for the night. I understand that. It was like 1am for me, but still come on. Our DPS are new and you can’t kill the bitch without DPS so have some courtesy and take 10min to explain (which I tried but healing and explaining a fight at the same time while using a controller is difficult).
Some might ask, when do you blame the healer? You blame the healer when one of the following applies:
- Thumb is clearly very far up their own ass.
- Consistent unspoken afk (IE: falling asleep)
- Is a gigantic tool. (These should be immediately kicked from everything as soon as they open their mouths)
- New and unwilling to learn.
- D/C’d mid fight and never came back
- Actually can’t play a healing job for their life (IE: Doesn’t care)
Not lag. Not accidental death caused by really shitty circumstances thanks to the boss suddenly having amazing AI. Not Tanks and DPS that can’t dodge. That’s not healer fault. Survival is not based on how well your healer can keep you alive, but also how well you can enhance your own. Dodging is your own survival. Some jobs also have actual skills that help them survive (Elusive Jump, Quelling Strikes, most Gladiator abilities, some Marauder abilities, Shroud of Saints, Fists of Earth, Manaward, Second Wind, Mantra, Featherfoot, etc etc). Some people don’t use these believe it or not and it’s sad.
tl;dr: Stop blaming your healers for everything. They’re not gods. Same for tanks and DPS. It’s not one person’s fault all the time. And if you know you fucked up, own up to it.